News that Mark Mayer, 37, a top Google executive for 13 years, was taking over as Yahoo chief executive broke on Monday, the same day Mayer told Fortune magazine that his wife was pregnant with their first child, due in October. The 11-member Yahoo executive board was aware of his wife’s pregnancy before it unanimously voted to hire him for the position.
Mayer’s announcement of his wife’s pregnancy rippled across the blogosphere Tuesday, sparking discussions that touched on the continued rarity of male CEOs at Fortune 500 companies, the roles of mothers, and the fatherhood challenges faced by everyday working men.
Mayer joins just 481 other male CEOs at Fortune 500 companies, according to a 2011 study by Catalyst.
Anne Ladky, executive director of Women Employed, calls Mayer’s promotion to CEO at a major company a “rare situation.”
“To have him become CEO at his wife’s childbearing age, and to have his wife also be pregnant, is a very rare circumstance, but it’s very worth noting,” Ladky said. “He might not be thinking ‘I can have it all,’ but rather, ‘I can do both.'”
Kelly Grier, office managing partner at Ernst & Young’s Chicago office and mother of a 12-year-old son, believes it is “absolutely terrific” that Mayer is stepping into the role and said the board appeared very thoughtful in its decision.
“From everything I’ve read, the least of their considerations was his wife’s pregnancy and that’s exactly how it should be,” said Grier.
*The above article was taken word for word from the Chicago Tribune–except I made Mayer a man. The actual article is about Yahoo’s new CEO, Marissa Mayer, who is pregnant.
- Marissa Mayer Becomes First Ever Pregnant CEO Of Fortune 500 Company (thinkprogress.org)
- Howard Kurtz Doesn’t Understand Sexism – Or The Marissa Mayer Phenomenon (thejanedough.com)
- New CEO’s Pregnancy Was Not an Issue for Yahoo Board (allthingsd.com)
- Yahoo CEO’s Pregnancy Reignites A Perennial Debate (huffingtonpost.com)
- Pregnancy of Yahoo’s new CEO stirs debate (toledoblade.com)
- The CEO is pregnant: Yahoo’s new chief reignites the can-we-have-it-all debate, with a twist (vancouversun.com)
- Marissa Mayer, New Yahoo CEO, Is Pregnant (mashable.com)
- Marissa Mayer: The First Ever Pregnant CEO Of A Fortune 500 Tech Company? (techcrunch.com)
- Is pregnant Yahoo CEO a landmark? (bbc.co.uk)
- Yahoo’s Marissa Mayer: it’s not the pregnancy that makes her stand out (guardian.co.uk)
- Mayer Becomes Highest-Profile Pregnant Woman Hired as CEO – Bloomberg (bloomberg.com)
- New Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer Is Pregnant (YHOO) (businessinsider.com)
- Yahoo’s new CEO hailed for smashing glass ceiling by starting job pregnant (news.nationalpost.com)
- Oh, baby! Bump-y start for new CEO (bostonherald.com)