1. Don’t binge on bread. It turns hard and doughy in your stomach and is extremely difficult to throw up.
2. Desserts are easiest.
3. Don’t brush right away; you’ll just spread the acid from your stomach around on your teeth.
4. Drink lots of water, both before and after.
5. Cheese smells up the bathroom and you’ll get caught.
6. Don’t get caught. Blot your eyes and wipe your nose. Wipe the underside of the toilet seat. Let the redness disappear from your mouth and nose. Apply Chapstick to your cracked lips.
7. If you do get caught, people around you might not know how to help. They might force cake down your throat to satisfy their need to think you’re okay, even though they love you. So,
8. If you want to heal, it’s entirely up to you. You. You make the first choice. You take the first step.
9. You’ll think nothing is more shameful than hugging a toilet and sticking your finger down your throat.
10. You’ll be wrong.
You are a beautiful, flawed part of a flawed world. You can change. Slowly or quickly—either way, you can change.
Over one-half of teenage girls and nearly one-third of teenage boys skip meals, fast, smoke cigarettes, vomit, and/or take laxatives to control weight. Up to 24 million people of all ages and genders in the U.S. suffer from an eating disorder (anorexia, bulimia and binge eating disorder). Eating disorders have the highest mortality rate of any mental illness. (Source: ANAD)