I’ve found myself repeatedly recommending the following things this year:
(Asterisk: I’m not a trendsetter, but if you are an average person of an average age with average expectations who usually comes around to things slightly late, you might like these.)
1. Burt’s Bees Very Volumizing Pomegranate Shampoo. This is the only thickening shampoo that has ever actually worked on my fine hair.
2. The ocean roll at Sparrow Bakery in Bend, Oregon. If you live anywhere in the Pacific Northwest, please go there and eat one. I went a year ago and still think about this pastry more than I think about the family I visited there.
3. Bloodline. I’ve told everyone I know to watch this show. Give it three episodes and you’ll be hooked.
4. The fact that Target now has sustainable seafood.
5. Pokey LaFarge. Seriously good music and musicianship that just makes me happy. My four-year old daughter loves Pokey, too, and usually she’ll only listen to Bruno Mars or Pitbull.
6. Shovels & Rope. See number 5, except I still can’t get my daughter hooked. By the way, thanks to my friend, Michelle, for introducing me to both bands.
7. Sweet T’s bakery in downtown Arlington Heights, Illinois. Cakes and cookies as tasty and beautiful as Mariano’s, and it’s a small business.
8. Common Sense Media. Every time I’m not sure whether my children should go to a certain movie or play a specific game, I check this site for the lowdown.
10. These bras.
It’s always good to end on a bra note, so I’ll stop. There’s a book I can’t stop talking about, too, but I’ll save that for my recommendation next month over at Great New Books.
See you then!